27 April, 2010

Drink Mango Tea: Class of 2010

Mucho Mango Arizona Tea... isn't that great. But sometimes when you have no other options left, you go for one that you know you can somewhat stand. At least you have something to drink when it's really hot outside.

I was sitting, drinking the mediocre tea and it occurred to me that the class of 2010 is in that same situation.  My class will have the highest unemployment rate to date. And, to top that off, besides competing with many of our other skilled peers for not many job positions, many companies are thinking of requiring at least one years work experience. Gee. How... nice.

My take on this?

It's our time.  To prove that we're not too proud to take the jobs where they are. To drink the Mango Tea.

To take the jobs we can get, try to find better ones, but not be ashamed or unwilling to take the job working as cashiers, manual labor, the stupid intern- whatever it may be, despite the promise of jobs when we went into college. Jobs with prestige and salaries.

I am glad I went to college. I'm also infinitely glad that I learned to not make my work ethic dependent on college.* Instead, to be able to work diligently and take the opportunities whether or not I deserve better. I've endured some of the most horrid and random jobs out there, from ditch digging, selling fine jewelry, childcare, road flagger, Home Depot employee, tour guide, hiring and training, etc. None of those are necessarily what I want my career to be, but that's not the point.




*Some would argue it's better out of college...

No comments:

Post a Comment