11 August, 2011

Recipe: Grilled Summer Squash Pizza with Goat Cheese

Persian bread pizza
Recently, I came across this post from a dear fellow Hannah with whom I went to college. It won me over instantly, as I love... pizza... and all forms of cheese... and squash. And, as I had just bought a ton of summer squashes, it seemed the perfect timing. 


So, my own variation, determined by my own tastes and available ingredients. I made 3 variations total, one grilled, and two in the oven since our grill was not large enough. Ingredients listed below should make between 2-3 pizzas. I used yogurt with the sauce as well as the cheese to reduce the caloric content, and to make it easier to spread on the bread. 


Grilled/Baked Citrus Summer Squash and Goat Cheese Pizza


-pizza dough, or in my variation; I used Persian bread and then 2 large pieces of Indian naann. 
-8oz of goat cheese
-2 cups of Greek yogurt, nonfat
-juice and zest of 1/2 lime, 1/2 lemon
-fresh basil leaves

-2-3 medium sized yellow squash and zuchini mix
-salt, pepper, ground coriander, paprika, lemon pepper
-olive oil




1- If you are using something that is already baked, like I did, then you will want to cook your squash ahead of time. I sliced the squash quickly using my food processor, and then roasted them in the oven using a non-stick cookie sheet for about 25 minutes at 450 degrees. I put them all in a single layer, drizzled olive oil on them, and then spiced them with salt, lemon pepper, coriander, thyme, and paprika. 


2- Pizza sauce: Again, using my food processor, I mixed the Greek yogurt and goat cheese together until nice and creamy, and easily spreadable. I added a bit of citrus juice and zest to taste. Add in a little lemon pepper and salt. 
My dear friend Angela


3- Heat your grill or oven- prepare it for the pizza! 


4-Spread the cheese/yogurt sauce on the pizza base, and then arrange the basil leaves intermittently. Place the squash circles on concentric, overlapping circles. I believe in doing multiple layers, since food processors get squash quite thin. 


5- Grill/bake until the edges of the squash look a bit crispy, and until it has heated. Enjoy!








I made other variations as well; one with fresh tomato, feta, and avocado. This seemed to be a hit, but in retrospect, put the tomato and avocado on after baking- the nice fresh flavor is diluted with the heat. 


What are some of your summer favorites? 

No comments:

Post a Comment