04 August, 2011

Recipe: Homemade Hummus from fresh Chickpeas

I love hummus.
There's two really important components to hummus: flavor, and texture. One is immensely easy, the other... that's where the effort comes in.

The main ingredients in hummus are chickpeas, olive oil, and tahini. Variations that I think also are essential include lemon juice, salt, lemon pepper, paprika, cumin, and usually a little ground coriander.

I've made hummus before just using a can of cooked chick peas, and food processing it with the other ingredients. The flavor is good- the texture... not so much.
 Without a high powered blender, it comes out grainy, and very unlike the smooth and delicious hummus that I can buy very, very cheaply around Evanston/Skokie.
I bought uncooked, but shelled garbanzo beans at my local market (favorite place ever)... and proceeded to hull them.

This process was so annoying. It took a very long time.

What I did was to soak them in hot water for about 20 minutes, and then individually take the little hull off of every bean. It was a miserable experience. In hindsight, this would have been much easier after they were cooked. Silly Hannah. 
However, it was key. My hummus turned out excellent. It's not quite perfected, but as that I don't have an immersion blender (yet) it's definitely the best I can get with my amazing food processor.

Step one: Cook the beans, until very tender. Then cool them (or wear heat resistent gloves) and hull them. Place in food processor, and give a good blending.

Step two: Ingredient adding time! I add to taste largely. The olive oil and tahini, as well as lemon juice will also highly influence the consistency of the hummus.
 For olive oil, I use a special, fresh pressed kind of olive oil that I can buy from my other favorite market. They make it themselves, and it tastes amazing. Also very cheap, which sounds incredulous, I know.

The tahini I also get there, it comes with  great recipes on the back of the bottle for hummus and tahini dressing as well.  Here's a picture of my typical hummus spicing.

Lemmon Pepper
Granulated Garlic
Salt
Cumin
Ground Coriander
Paprika
Thyme

The result was a creamy textured, smooth hummus that tasted fantastic. Served to my middle eastern friends it even got the ok! It took a while to get it down, but it's the little tricks to cooking that make all the difference.




No comments:

Post a Comment