05 August, 2011

Wedding: Jody Lent and Rachel Keller

For a season, Jody Lent was in my life everyday.
Jodi and Jody: two dear friends of mine. One scary,
 one even more scary. Who is who depends on the day.
 Our last year of college was spent together a great deal, no one wants to eat at the college cafeteria, and no one wants to eat alone. It was a practical arrangement: we'd take our trips to Wal-Mart and Kroger together, he would often provide ingredients for meals I would cook for both of us.

We'd spend evening sitting on the roof outside my room talking about everything- past, present, future... our weaknesses and our strengths. Both of us were going to live in Chicago post-graduation, so we knew it was a friendship that would last beyond the alma mater.

 When I got married, Jody did one of the kindest things for Jason and I, and moved all of my stuff to our new apartment in Chicago: including carrying it up to the second floor. His gift to us was not letting us pay my share of the u-haul. What a blessing!

Recently Jody was married in Cleveland, to an incredibly cheerful woman named Rachel. Jason and I were both in the wedding, even though when I was asked- I'd never met the bride! It was the sort of thing one does knowing glimpses of the future: of knowing of all of our entwining paths in Chicago.

The wedding weekend was really full: we were staying in Akron, with our good friends the Facklers, at their grandparents house on the lake. It was so beautiful, and definitely was one of the highlights of the summer thus far. I got to feed baby ducks, swim in a beautiful lake, and witness fireworks under the stars. It's almost impossible to see stars in Chicago.

But we were there as witnesses to their wedding. For Jason and I, this wedding was different than most others this summer, for the simple reason that instead it being a culmination of many things we've already witnessed and been a part of, it was the beginning.
Photo by Rob Lent

We didn't know Rachel. But we knew we would. We hadn't seen their lives grow together, leading to engagement and marriage, but we knew we would see the next steps. We hadn't even seen Jody and Rachel interact much, since a great deal of their relationship was long distance until the wedding... but we knew we would.


We know we will.

1 comment:

  1. That’s a good news. I am sure I can tell me sister about it now. She is always interested in such a news. Her wedding is by the end of this year in one of the finest wedding venues and I am planning it. I will try my best to make her day one of the really special ones.

    ReplyDelete