09 June, 2011

Currently reading books

I like to read lots of different things all at once. I don't give them all equal reading times normally... but there's always a couple books I'm chipping away at each month. 

This month: 

I can honestly say this book is changing my life. It's not just the book though, it's the combination of my pastor's preaching and the same themes and convictions echoed in different ways by Chan. This is one of those few books that I can honestly saying that instead of just reading, critiquing, evaluating from a literary or theological viewpoint and putting down; it's actually made it past internalizing and has changed my actions, attitudes and way I approach things. If you're thinking of reading this book- do it. But do not read it fast or you'll whiz past the point of his book: it's not about understanding something new; but DOING it. I'm in chapter 8 now, doing this as a weekly study with my women's small group at Harvest Bible Chapel; my awesome church. 

I love fiction, and I love light reading. I've really enjoyed Harry Potter. The plot is actually quite good, the characters are super, super funny- it's not something I'll give my kids to read until I deem they're old enough- but I love the books. 

I was able to get this book for free from Desiring God online; the goal was to celebrate the books 25th anniversary with online book discussions led by Piper himself. I've heard so much about this book that I wanted to read it, but I've not really enjoyed it. Much of that comes from the theological differences I have with Piper, and also I feel he uses way too many words to say things that are obvious. I'm only in chapter 4 at the moment, but I do plan on finishing the thing. 

I love Ravi. I wish I owned all his books. Working on that part. This one was a Christmas gift; (great gift!) and it's dense, so I'm taking it slow. I love the approach it takes, because it addresses so many comments or reasons (excuses, let's be honest) that people have left the church and rejected Jesus Christ. Ravi is the perfect person to write on this subject. I'm still in Chapter 2 on this one... it's going to take a while to really digest. 




I put this book on hold a month before it was even released, and only today was I able to pick it up at the library. That alone should tell you why I'm reading it.  It was one of the books that had a video intro that lead to controversy and lots of conversations about it; both from Christians and the lost. It's a best seller, many of my coworkers and people I know have read it, and I want to know what it says. I trust many pastors and mentors and their reviews of it; but before I say anything beyond I'm almost sure it's heresy I'll finish the book myself. I haven't read anything but the cover at the moment. 


Are you reading anything fun? Serious? Life changing? New? 

3 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts when you finish Piper and Bell's books, Roomie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah--so random, I'm reading the fourth Harry Potter book too. I've never read them before, and I was thinking of doing a few "series" reviews on my blog... I didn't like to first two very much at all, but I really liked number 3, and I'm liking this one pretty well so far. :-) I love it when I find out that I'm reading the same books as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun times Kathryn! I finished the fourth one; am now in the fifth. It's so hard to read because a character that you are supposed to loathe is introduced- and it's done really well... so well that it's hard to read. The third and fourth books may be my favorite in the series. We should chat about them sometime!

    ReplyDelete