19 June, 2011

My Daddy


My Dad is not a perfect man. Not one is. But he comes really close.

My dad taught me to love adventures, and to make them yourself. With him I've explored gold dredges, beaches, mountains, eagle's nests, remote villages.




I've traveled all over Alaska, from the beaches on the Kenai Peninsula to the beaches in Nome. This photo is Bishops Beach in Homer, Alaska. 










With my dad, we've driven across 
across all the states in New England, shared a lobster dinner on the coast of Maine and seen from the top of the Empire State building. 



The lobster dinner was delicious, but overrated we both decided. Given the choice, we'd rather have Alaskan King Crab.

 However... the company at this particular feast did add to the experience....




That was one very experienced and determined sea gull. He seemed upset and miffed that we didn't feed him immediately.

The moment my dad got up he took his place at the table... grabbed a napkin and ate it. Then he flew off.








We've visited countless museums. My dad taught me patience and how to appreciate things that are really old. Or are at least modeled after old things. This museum was the Mystic Seaport: The Museum of America and the Sea. It was more interesting to my dad, but that doesn't mean I didn't really enjoy it. 
 When he visited in Chicago, we visited the Museum of Science and Industry. It was a huge hit. Again, it made me appreciate how my dad helped me pick a man worth marrying... Jason and my dad are very similar in many ways.... especially museums. 
We've explored tons of waterfalls all over Alaska. Gorgeous and private. We also road tripped to see "The Great One," Niagara Falls. That was a ton of fun. 
We went to check out the big cities we'd never seen. Boston. New York City. We got stuck in Manhattan with our car in New Jersey and had to take a $60 cab ride back over. But it was worth it. 
And most of all, I have amazing memories of how my dad helped us in our wedding. Helped pay for it, helped give assurances on my decisions. I was sad, he couldn't be there a lot during the process of planning the big day, but really, he didn't need to be. He'd already prepared me for the trials, how to make decisions, how to manage money wisely, and most importantly, how to look for a godly man.  
My dad's never been perfect, he never will be. But he's a fantastic father who has never let me down. He's helped teach me, and some of the most profitable conversations I've ever had have been with my father.  I learned so much from him growing up, and I know I still do so now and in the years to come.  He never claimed to have all the answers, he never claimed to always live like he should. But he taught me where to go for the answers: God's Word. And he taught me to strive to live how Jesus wants us to, even if we may never achieve it perfectly. 

I'm so proud to be his daughter. Happy Father's Day Dad! I love you. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! What a beautiful Father's Day post! Thanks so much for sharing all those wonderful memories, Hannah... and I *love* all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete