17 June, 2011

Recipe: Espresso Chili Rub Chicken


Great recipe for so many reasons: it's fast, it's healthy, it's full of flavor, it's easy to modify. 

This is a wonderful seasoning rub that you can create ahead of time and use at your convenience as well, goes really well with chicken, beef or seafood. I think it would do pretty well on a pork tenderloin as well. 

Ingredients: 
2 tbsp dark brown sugar 
1 tbsp ground espresso coffee
1 tbps ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1-2 tsp red chile flakes or chili powder
salt and pepper

For my recipe, I used two boneless, skinless, chicken breasts that I cut into slices, so I could have strips for making wraps or setting on top of rice, etc. I also modified the recipe to include less sugar, and instead of chile flakes I used a fresh ground red  (bright red!) pepper that I found in the Mexican section of our market. All the packaging was in Spanish, but I can tell you it added a ton of heat. Leaves me wondering what kind of peppers they used! 



After tossing the chicken in the rub and coating it evenly, I put it in a skillet, poured two tbsp of white wine over and cooked it on high heat. The wine helped all the ingredients to stick to the chicken nice and evenly. Very tasty. 

I decided to make a wrap with mine; using a garden spinach tortilla, greek yogurt, and red leaf lettuce to cool down some of the spice. Jason used hummus and cucumber to do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment